Siliguri Jalpaiguri Development Authority
The total area under the jurisdiction of SJDA is approximately 2327.12 sq. km comprising the C.D. blocks of Matigara, Siliguri, Naxalbari, Phansidewa and Kharibari in the district of Darjeeling and Rajganj, Jalpaiguri Sadar, entire Malbazar block, Mal municipal area and part of Mainaguri within Jalpaiguri district. The total population under the SJDA was 2.01 million (as per 2001 census).
Function of the Siliguri Jalpaiguri Development Authority
Some of the functions performed by this nodal agency are:
- The primary function of SJDA is to plan and develop the area under its jurisdiction by undertaking economically viable projects and ensure the smooth flow of funds for these projects and other non-viable but equally desirable projects in the interest of the public.
- It prepares a Land Use and Development Control Plan (LUDCP) and executes these plans either directly or through the means of other agencies. Thus the SJDA helps to promote industries and housing as well as other commercial complexes to accentuate the process of industrialization in the Siliguri-Jalpaiguri Planning area.
- The SJDA also helps to develop the infrastructure of roads, water, electricity, sewerage and drainage as well as create the social infrastructure for co-ordinating the development activities of all agencies and departments under the state government and local authorities within the Planning Area.
- The SJDA has also undertaken to implement social sector projects like VAMBAY (Valmiki Ambedkar Awas Yojana) initiated by the Indian government to construct housing and toilets for economically weaker sections living in the slum areas. The MRCS, or Mahananda Action Plan of SJDA aims to treat the sewerage of Fuleshwari, Mahananda and Jorapani rivers, initiate soil conservation programmes like afforestation and provide bathing ghats and protect the river banks from damage.
- The Siliguri Jalpaiguri Development Authority also aims to improve parks and recreational gardens by developing facilities like joggers track, hedge maze, fountain, shaded sitting area, food kiosk, flower gallery, service block and drinking water facility, cafeteria, developing picnic area, children’s park facilities, pathways and sitting areas beside riverside, water park, decorative bridges for crossing rivers and other innovative amenities for the common people of the region.
Some of the projects which the SJDA have concluded are the Auditorium and Art Gallery, Jalpaiguri in 1999 for promoting unique facilities for cultural programmes, the 3rd Mahananda Bridge due to increasing traffic intensity and urbanization of Kawakhali and Matigara areas, Parivahan Nagar Truck Terminal-cum-Office Complex (PNOC), Perishable Cargo Construction at Bagdogra Airport and others.
Contact Information of the Siliguri Jalpaiguri Development Authority
Chairman of Siliguri-Jalpaiguri Development Authority
Sri Goutam Deb, MIC
North Bengal Development Department
Siliguri Address of SJDA:
Address: Pradhannagar, Tenzing Norgey Road,
Siliguri, Dist. Darjeeling, West Bengal - 734 403
Phone: +91 - 353 - 2512922 / 2513784 / 2515647